Friday 21 October 2016

Autumn Eurocrankhop - Day 5



No game today, just a tortuous 467 mile, 14 hour train journey to Serbia.

A surprisingly spirited 0500 start to the morning, meant we were at the station in time for the 0603 IC service into Wien. 


This meant we were into Wien in time to see the overnight services arrive from various parts of Europe.  On the right the empty stock from Milan, this one in from Berlin.


Our home for the next 12 hours duly arrived.  I was particularly excited about it being hauled by a MAV Taurus in liveried to celebrate the 'Aranycsapat', the Hungarian 'golden team' of the 1950s.


We progressed through Austria and into Hungary, re-aquatinting with a misty Danube.  Dai is never one to do any research about where we are going, so always has a barrage of questions, of varying complexness.  As we were on our way, after answering various queries about Tito, Dai then went back to basics with "Is Belgrade in Romania?".   At this point I was more interested in sleep, so I fobbed him off with a "yes".


At Budapest Keleti, we had a 50 minute wait as various portions of international trains are re-assembled for onward destinations.  We took this opportunity to go and grab some breakfast, and conscious of the petty theft, took our bags with us.  Dai got mesmerised at the bookstore that there was a Hungarian version of Readers Digest, so I left him to it and we agreed to meet back at the train.  After grabbing some food, I noticed that the football liveried loco had come off our train and had hooked up to a Bucharesti service.


The train shortly departed.  What I didn't expect to see as the train passed me, was Dai merrily ordering something in the dining car, appearing oblivious to the fact that he was on his own, heading two countries away from where he should have been going.  As he had no working phone, there was no way of telling him.  This was the last I saw of him, the next I heard was the following Monday when my phone informed me I had a WhatsApp message, something I didn't know existed until then, with Dai telling me he was in Sofia.


So I headed on alone.  We crossed into Serbia at Subotica, a place I was very familiar with.  I used to go to Kosovo a lot as the post Balkan war railway there consisted of rolling stock that the UN had scrounged off other European countries.  This meant some absolutely outstanding locos, most notably some Scandinavian Nohabs.  This meant I had lots of Kosovan stamps in my passports.  Now the Serbians didnt take too kindly to Britain playing a part in having a part of their country annexed and given to the Albanians, and some of them could get really arsey about it.  One of these was the chief customs person at Subotica.  He would haul you off the train, take you to a holding cell, shout at you in Serbian, then march you outside to watch the train leave, knowing there wasn't one for another 12 hours, then let you go.  I had this happen four times, the first time waiting the 12 hours, the next time getting a coach to Cluj Napoca, and the third time a taxi to the border.  On the final occasion, I got talking to one of the railway staff, and he gave me a lift to the border.  He explained the customs officer was quite high up in the Serbian army during the Balkan war.  If there was anyone I could imagine committing genocide on a village full of Croats, it would have been that pathological fucker.


Anyway, safely through passport control this time.  I headed to the restaurant car, attracted by these wonderful 1970s publicity shots that adorned the carriage vestibule.


And so we arrived into Beograd, with the Danube looking wonderful.



However, the station was still the piss-ridden tramp fest that I remembered it to be.  Never mind, a short walk to my hotel for an early night, a big day tomorrow.




Solo Travelling Times

No comments:

Post a Comment