Monday 31 October 2016

Autumn Eurocrankhop- Day 15


So back to Strasbourg gare, which has had its facade entombed in a glass bubble.


I took a quick spin on one of the last remaining 67000 diesels, which operate a couple of peak time trains.


Then back for the 0640 TER to Metz.


All was going well until we reached RĂ©milly, where the exact same level crossing that held me up on Thursday, had failed again, so we sat around for 20 minutes, before dawdling onwards to Peltre, where single line working as in place, and we got regulated for a TGV.  Never work with the French.


So to Metz where it seems I only get to run up and down stairs.  My 32 minute connection became a four minute dash, just making my unit onto Luxembourg.


Surprisingly, we stayed to time through France, but as soon as we departed Bettembourg, we hit the same signalling problems heading into Luxembourg City, as we did last Wednesday.


This time a +22 became a +6, and it was onto some SNCB hauled double decker stock, which is rare as the line up to Brussels is booked for bung units.


Whilst digging out the Eurostar passes from my bag, I came across a can of strongbow I forgot I'd brought.  This is kryptonite for Dai.  Every trip he has some sort of melt down where he ceases to function in some way.  By trial and error, I've found the way to kick start him back into action, is to give him cider.  As it is almost impossible to get abroad, I take emergency rations.  With Dai's sudden disappearance, its presence had slipped my mind.  I decided to take it back with me, as the best travelled can of strongbow.


Into Bruxelles Midi, which was full of Celtic supporters heading for Supercalifragilistic Borussia Mönchengladbach.


Finally, back into Blighty on one of the original class 373 TransManche Super Train.  These trains, despite being only 20 years old, have started to be scrapped, as the new e320 ICE clones are being introduced.


And 15 days, 18 games and 4,674 miles of rail travel after leaving, back into Swindon.




Good to Shit in Your Own Toilet Times

No comments:

Post a Comment