Thursday 23 June 2016

Bigoted Racist Fuckwits


Durham v Yorkshire, County Championship.

Although I'd moved to Yorkshire, I was still registered to vote in Swindon, as suprisingly, it is the more marginal constituency.  Today was voting day for the European Referendum, so I'd taken the day off work to head back down south to vote.

I headed off into Leeds first thing.  The forecast was for heavy rain, but instead the sun was beating down.  It was at this point that I reconsidered my day.  Can I really be bothered to spend 8 hours on a train for a vote that is going to be a landslide, after all, even the racist biggots can't be stupid enough to vote for economic suicide?

So instead I headed northwards, as it was the final day of a county championship game between Durham and Yorkshire, nicely poised with Durham having a lead of 260 and one remaining wicket of their second innings.

A TPE service was had to Durham, where a quick stop for provisions, was followed by a bus move to Chester-Le-Street, on the swishest double decker bus I've been on.


The best thing about the riverside is that it is in the middle of knowhere.  This means you can easily stash cans at the fence on the far side, and go and collect them when you get in.  

I was very pleased with my work, until the bloke on the gate didn't even bother to search my bag.



I went and collected the stashed eight pack, to go with the permitted four I had taken in.  With this, was the purchases I'd got from the outstanding cheese stall in Durham indoor market.



Firstly, Weardale, a local crumbly cheese produced in one of the old workshops of Harperley Prisoner of War Camp.



Next True Gritt, a farmhouse Cheddar, with a gritty texture  created by the salt crystalising in the cheese over time.

Below this is Cahills - Porter, a brown waxed truckle made with plain Irish porter.



Continuing the beer theme is the Admiral Collinwood, a semi-soft cheese washed in Newcastle Brown Ale and named after local hero Admiral Cuthbert Collingwood who fought alongside Nelson at the Battle of Trafalgar. 



Next a Durham Camembert from Parlour Made, a local produce more well known for their Mordon range.



Finally something European, with Brebirousse d'Argental from the Rhone-Alps, a soft ripened sheep’s milk cheese with an orange rind, coming from annato being sprinkled onto the cheese during maturation.



Unfortunately, the last wicket Durham partnership put on another 70, to leave Yorkshire chasing 330.  They made a good fist of it, getting a hundred quickly, but the loss of Lees and Lythe quickly after lunch, also saw the quick departure of Balance, so they holed out for the draw instead.



I headed home, for the last evening before world politics turned to shit.




No comments:

Post a Comment